If a smile widens on a phone call, and no one is there to see it, does it make a sound?
As it turns out, it does.
According to an article on ‘Discovery’ “Smiling affects how we speak, to the point that listeners can actually identify the type of smile based on sound alone…”. Now, since 84% of the message over the phone is in your tone of voice, making sure that the “smiling tone” comes through is imperative.”
Why is the ‘phone smile’ important in a Call center? When you’re not smiling you can come across as rude, uninterested, unfriendly or just plain bad. However, a smile improves the quality of the call.
SMILING IS YOUR GREATEST TOOL
- It gives you a positive attitude before the next incoming call, allowing us to be optimistic in achieving our goals.
- It leads to cordial communication being established during the calls, which in turn will open the door to building the necessary trust between the agent and the client, and to offer 5-star quality customer service.
- It develops empathy. This is a fundamental skill within the call center, which will help you to establish a clear connection with the client. It will create trust and mutual understanding.
EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE START WITH A SMILE:
- A smile is more than an expression. It is not just something your face does. It communicates your state of mind. It can influence people’s perception of you (and the Company!) and their customer satisfaction.
- A smile is more about a mindset. It’s the reflection of an organization. It helps form the customer’s first impression (of both you and the Company), and plays a role in our relationship with every customer we assist.
- A smile is an attitude. It’s a personal touch that extends our ‘excellent customer service’ promise and reflects our passion. Smiling says that we want to be present, serving our clients and callers. It says that we are ready and willing to go the extra mile.
- A smile helps to lead the interaction. We cannot control everything that unfolds during customer interactions, but we always control the attitude we convey, such as – amiability, energy and commitment to satisfying the customer’s wants or needs. Even though a smile can’t solve every problem, in many cases, our attitude can triumph over many complications that might occur during the call and our smile can become a competitive edge.
ARE YOU SMILING?
Maybe you are trying, but you need to be sure; many people think they’re smiling, but they’re not.
What you can do?
- Show your teeth when smiling (if not, you’re simply grinning), and now talk!
- Put a mirror in front of you on your desk to make sure you’re smiling.
- Paste a reminder on your desk (or computer), somewhere you can see it all the time.
- Record yourself and listen to the differences in your voice whilst smiling and not smiling.
SHOW THAT BIG SMILE AND SAY
– HELLO, HOW CAN I HELP YOU? =)